This is a guest post I originally wrote for Reading Between the Wines, I’ve been meaning to share it here as well. A little insight into the Blackbird Pack:
Want in on a little known author secret?
We make a lot of shit up.
So when I started getting into the nitty gritty of including a paranormal element to Ivy, I did what any good author does and researched the pack behaviour of wolves. It wasn’t until I was well into the writing of the first version of Ivy that the idea of a group of shifters that were of misfits who wouldn’t normally go together came to me. They insinuated themselves into my brain and wouldn’t shut up.
I did what any good writer would do, I wrote about them.
The Blackbird pack currently consists of wolves, panthers, cougars and foxes.
Ivy somehow managed to stumble her way into the only security firm in London that consisted of former military officers who occasionally turn into furry creatures with four legs. She has a knack for finding trouble and it makes her an incredibly fun character to write, and, I hope, read about.
So here’s a little bit of the mythos I built, at least in my own head, for the Blackbird pack:
- It’s genetically inherited no random bite or strange test tube illness.
- To Gareth’s chagrin, they aren’t completely super human. They heal a little faster and are a little stronger than average, but nothing like in the movies. He really wanted me to make them super human.
- The full moon doesn’t make them any more insane than they already were.
- They age like everyone else, and can die just like everyone else.
- It’s a fifty-fifty shot for whether their children will suddenly turn into wolf pups while in the crib.
- The mate bond is for life. It’s a deep connection that allows for insight into each other’s minds and emotions. Steve insists it’s a good thing. Gareth reminds him of that whenever they’re in the dog house for something they felt.
- Each pack has its own doctor. It’s hard to convince a regular pediatrician than the two year old he just gave a shot to is the same as the tiny fox currently sitting on the chair.
- There are packs all over the world. The Blackbird pack is unique as it contains a mixture of shifters.
These are just a few little tidbits from the world in general. I hope they piqued your interest into Ivy’s world and the sexy wolves that turn her life upside down.