Do you ever feel like you’re going to lose your mind while you go through the process of getting published?
It doesn’t matter if you traditional or indie publish, there are times you’re going to question your sanity, at least I have several times in the past year It’s inevitable when you work in a creative field. You’re sending your baby out into the world, and a little madness comes with it. Here’s a few things to remember:
1. Don’t do for others with an expectation of reciprocation, hope for it, but don’t expect it.
People aren’t always going to scratch your back when you scratch theirs. They should, but they won’t. Do because it’s the right thing, and be pleasantly surprised when you receive in return. You’ll keep your temper and your sanity.
2. Don’t engage in arguments with people who don’t enjoy your work.
You won’t change their mind and you’ll definitely scare off potential readers. Oh, and it makes one look rather childish and petulant. Bad reviews are part of life as an author. There’s no point in actively seeking a debate with someone who dislikes what you’ve written.
3. You will never regret spending money on a good editor.
4. Never let your mother read your work .
Well, I’ll admit this is more a note for myself than anything else. =)
5. If someone pisses you off, write them into your next novel and do unspeakable things to the character.
It’s very satisfying.
How do you keep your sanity as an author?