While finishing writing Misguided Confession, I’ve begun the tentative steps of platting out a project for the summer and another series for later in the year. I use Scrivener quite a bit, but I also keep a story bible in a little spiral notebook plus I have a cork board over my desk which I put my story board. The picture above is my 2016 story bible, it’s covered in stickers because I’m a nerd. I’ll use it for all the stories big and small that I write this year.
Anyway, here’s a few things about how I build a world for myself.
- Sexy hot men are great for inspiration, writer’s block and drooling on keyboards.
- Even if it never makes it into the story, know what my characters prefers to wear, eat, read, watch, etc. It helps solidify them in my mind.
- Create a story board and add all the details into my story bible.
- Make sure the spelling of names and places are written out clearly. This is very important because once I didn’t do this and consistently spelled the same character’s name wrong throughout a novel about five different ways. I was consistently inconsistent as it were.
- Create a music playlist that reminds me of the characters, the plot and the mood of the story.
How do you build out the story in your mind before writing it?