Donuts have nothing to do with this post.
I’ve found expectations to be rather dangerous things. They can kill relationships of every variety, damper success, and over-exaggerate failures.
Here’s five things about expectations:
1. My expectations are my own–no one else is in my brain to see them. How can anyone meet expectations they are unaware of?
2. As a writer, call I can do is my best. Placing pressure on myself on serves to heighten any failures–making them harder to overcome.
3. We often confuse goals with expectations. I prefer goals; something I have some measure of control over.
4. Managing expectations usually keeps me from being perpetually disappointed in others.
5. It doesn’t always work. Sometimes I still want to smack someone upside the head for saying they’ll do something and then they don’t.
Do you ever struggle with expectations?