If I could send my sixteen-year-old self a few pieces of advice, here’s what I’d say to myself:
- It gets better. It truly does.
- You’re autistic. Not a weirdo, or a freak. All those ways you don’t seem to fit are because you’re autistic.
- Heartbreaks aren’t the end of the world.
- You can be a writer. Just keep writing.
- Everyone makes mistakes.
- Not everyone who claims to be your friend–is your friend.
- Practice the Spanish, Mandarin, and sign language that you learned. (Being multi lingual would’ve been so handy now lol.)
- One day, you’ll find your real family. It’ll be better than all the times you’ve imagined it.
- You are brilliant.
- You don’t owe abusive bastards anything–no matter who they are.
What would you tell your sixteen-year-old self if you could?