My special interests can be broken into several categories: collections, games, TV/movies, books.
And hobbies, but hobbies are the special interest that changes most.
Now, I will admit I have a love/hate relationship with the phrasing ‘special interest.’ It sounds patronising to me, and I know I’m not the only autistic who feels that way. But, I haven’t heard or come up with a better word for my autistic obsessions.
Hobbies I’ve tried and abandoned: knitting, chainmail, and many others. Most crafts wind up being more flash in the pan than a lifelong special interest.
Collections: mugs and notebooks mostly.
Video Games: Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age series, Watchdogs 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Assassin’s Creed.
Books: this is another one that varies. I tend to switch genres a lot. Currently? Cosy mysteries are my reading obsession.
Movies: a few, but the ones I rewatch obsessively when stressed out tend to be Jane Austen adaptations.
TV Shows: As Time Goes By, Bake Off, True Crime shows (like on ID network), so many shows, honestly.
Maybe it’s just me, but book launches are highly stressful and exhausting. Since I couldn’t figure out what to blog about this week, I thought I’d come up with a list of ways to help avoid exhaustion and also how to stay sane during the release of my latest romance novel, The Wanderer.
So, here are ten ways to avoid stress and/or relax when you are stressed out:
- Tea. Lots of tea. All the tea. Particularly if it’s Republic of Tea’s Lemon Chiffon Green Tea. So Good.
- Bath, a long soak can do wonders.
- Indulge in a good book, this week I was reading some free flash fiction.
- Naps. Don’t judge. Naps are brilliant.
- Write. Sometimes, the best way to relaxing during a book launch is to continue working on your next project.
- Video games. My current favourite? Mass Effect Andromeda, hands down, the best game that I’ve played in ages.
- Indulge in binge watching on the telly. What am I watching lately? Hunted, Lock Up, The Great British Bake Off.
- Avoiding Goodreads, nothing more stressful than reading reviews lol.
- Get time away from the computer.
- Music. Nothing releases stress like singing loudly and badly. lol
What about you? What do you do to alleviate stress? If you’re an author, do you find book launches to be stressful?
You must be logged in to post a comment.