I took four days off social media a few weeks ago. I was finding myself completely overwhelmed. Something I’ve always struggled with, but since 2020 it’s only gotten worse. So I gave myself permission to take a break.
I thought I’d share a few things that I learned in those four days.
- I check Social Media, Twitter especially, far too often.
- I have no need for social media apps on my phone. And I’ve removed them.
- A constant deluge of ‘news’ is terrible for my mental health.
- The world didn’t end because I wasn’t immediately informed of things happening.
- I am in control of my social media timeline. There’s nothing wrong with muting/blocking people and tags. Boundaries are healthy.
The biggest takeaway for me was that I need to be giving myself a break from social media more often. I never realized how often I was just doomscrolling for no reason at all. So I’m trying to learn to set boundaries.
Do you struggle with too much time online?