It’s been a hell of a year, but I thought I’d share a few things that made me happy in 2018.
- Nailed It! on Netflix. Best cooking show. Ever. EVER.
- New Amsterdam
- JetPens (a new shop I discovered, it’s not new, but new to me)
- Finishing WIPs
- Winter Olympics (Adam Rippon and Chloe Kim in particular)
- Sara Bareilles new song Armor
- Assassin’s Creed Odyessy
What are some of the things you loved in 2018?
This is a conversation I’ve had with my hubby three times in the last seven days.
Hubby: What are we watching tonight?
Me: The Olympics.
Hubby: Again? Seriously? Isn’t anything else on?
It’s fair to say I’ve watched the Olympics all day, every day since the opening ceremony. I’ve seen everything from curling (which I swear was invented by drunken, bored Scotsmen) to snowboarding to figure skating. The Winter Olympics are always my favourite.
I’m taking a few lessons away from the athletes as well. I thought I’d share them.
- Never give up. Even if you fall on your face, you might still win in the end if you keep going.
- Tune out the critics (even if it’s your own self-doubt.)
- Sometimes winning comes without a medal. Set your own definitions for success.
- No matter how inspired. I’ll never be a figure skater. I’d probably maim myself in the attempt. lol
- Find joy in what you’re doing.
How about you? Are you enjoying the Olympics? What’s your favourite event so far?
A few lessons I’ve learned about winning from watching the Olympics this past two weeks:
- If you cannot lose with grace, you shouldn’t win either. Exhibit A: Hope Solo.
- All the world roots for an underdog.
- Winners require determination, but a bit of luck is usually in the mix.
- If you fall down, pick yourself up. If someone falls in front of you, help them up as well. (See #5 for why).
- Winning isn’t always about achieving first place or receiving a medal.
Have you enjoyed the Olympics?
The Olympics have rolled around once again. I have to admit to a bit of an obsession with them–more the winter than summer games. When I was little, maybe four or five, I would drag my blanket in front of the telly and try to mimic the tumbling of the Olympic gymnasts, without much success. It’s a miracle I didn’t knock anything over.
In celebration of the Rio Olympics, here are a few things I’ve loved so far:
- The lighting of the flame. I didn’t think anything could come close to the unique petal design from London 2012. The Brazilians came pretty damn close with their stunning art installation. It was beautiful.
- Beach volleyball. Hot men, shorts, sun; I think this one is fairly self-explanatory.
- Rugby Sevens, see above.
- US Women’s football (soccer). The US women’s team is rather spectacular; it’s almost criminal how their pay doesn’t adequately represent how amazing they are as compared to the men’s team which didn’t even qualify.
- The overly emotional ads on the telly. Is it just me? I swear every Olympics, the advertisements make me all weepy.
Are you watching the Rio Olympics? What’s your favourite event so far?