One thing Niclas, from Stubbed Toes and Dating Woes, and I share is a love of words. In school, I took Etymology as an elective for a couple years, mostly because I loved the subject. Studying the origin and meaning of words was fascinating to me–then and now.
Grammarly emails me once a week with updates on my writing stats, and it’s never a surprise to be informed that I have a ‘unique’ vocabulary. I’ve always inhaled books and absorbed words. I think it comes from being autistic.
So, in writing Niclas’s character, I knew I wanted him to use some very old words. Ones that no one uses anymore. It required a lot of research on my part. I wanted to find the obscure and rare because that made it more fun.
And felt more like something Niclas would use.
My favourite, aside from the swear words, is myne owne hertis rote. The literal translation is mine own heart’s root. Macabre and romantic. A medieval term of endearment which just really struck me as perfect for Niclas and Falk.
It was sweet and weird so perfectly Niclas.
So, I have a corkboard or bulletin board, or whatever you want to call it, above my desk. I use it for inspiration and a visual board for whatever book I’m working on. I thought I’d share what’s on the current one since it’s been a while since I’ve done so.
- The top half is inspiration for my new cosy mystery series that I’m working on.
- A few spring-themed postcards to brighten up my little office space. I had some winter ones but needed something lighter and brighter.
- A hand-painted card from a good friend along with a little note from another friend. Just something to make me smile and not feel alone on rough days.
- Favourite writing quotes that are always on the board. I find the Neil Gaiman quote particularly inspiring on rough writing days.
- The plague doctor on the right has two new friends – Benson and Stabler from SVU.
Cosplay Killer is free from March 30th to April 1st.
And on March 31st, you can grab 800+ books for free. Just check out the link here:
For Cosplay Killer specifically:
Amazon US: https://amzn.to/3cqaPET
Osian Garey and Dannel Ortea live together in a colourful flat in Covent Garden. They run a podcast and throw themselves wholeheartedly into Cosplay, video games, and musical theatre. This year, they’re all fired up to attend their annual convention with a group of first responders.
When Osian finds a paramedic friend murdered in the middle of the crowded venue, the police immediately turn their attention to him.
They have one question on their mind.
Is he the first witness on the scene or the killer?
As the mystery unfolds, Osian has to face the trauma of his last job as a paramedic. Somewhere in those memories, a killer waits to exact revenge. They’ll have to prove Osian’s innocence and fight for their own survival when the killer puts them both in their sights.
You must be logged in to post a comment.